To merge across text frames, the text frames need to be linked together in a single story. Here is Adobe's guide on how to do that.
Let's say you wanted to link two fields from DataLinker in two separate text frames, and then merge with DataLinker. We recommend the following workflow:
- Create two empty text frames
- Link them together
- Put the text cursor in the first frame and insert your first field from DataLinker
- Insert a column break to jump to the next frame (Type > Insert Break Character > Column Break)
- Insert your second field from DataLinker in the second text frame.
- Insert another column break. This will cause the merge to start a new page for every record
- Select everything in the text story (Edit > Select all or Ctrl/Cmd-A) and choose DataLinker > Merge
DataLinker will merge the data, starting a new page for each record.
Note: The two text frames don't have to be on the same page. You could have the first frame on page 1 and the second frame on page 5, and when DataLinker merges, it will copy all five pages for each record.